Spirits Alive was formed in 2006 when folks decided to organize around its dedication to the preservation and beautification of one of the area's oldest public burial grounds, the Eastern Cemetery in Portland, Maine.
Spirits Alive Has a Few Special Projects
Our group is directed by a small board and supported by numerous volunteers and Friends who plan and conduct a series of events every year. These events help us support the ongoing maintenance of and special projects at the cemetery.
- We perform planting and maintenance tasks according to the landscape plan created by Barry Hosmer, ASLA on volunteer workdays. Barry has been working on the site since 1992.
- We contracted with Chicora Foundation to help us create a preservation plan which will help guide restoration, educational, and advocacy efforts for years to come. This Master Plan was adopted by the city of Portland in 2012.
- We funded the repair of the Congress Street fence pickets and gate locks through the city of Portland who contracted with Maine-based StandFast Works Forge to complete the work.
- We are planning to restore the Victorian Tool Shed aka “Dead House.”
- We have completed the recording phase of the Stone Survey where we recorded the information of and about the each stone in the cemetery on paper. We are continuing the project in photography.
Spirits Alive is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Please address written correspondence to:
PO Box 18209
Portland, Maine 04112-8209
Spirits Alive is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and preservation of Portland’s historic Eastern Cemetery through a range of activities including promotion and education.