Tours & Events
July to OCtober
Also, Special tours available upon request
Learn a little about the history of Portland and how its first residents are now cemetery residents. Art, iconography, stone types, cemetery development, and your questions will also be covered.
Learn to beautify the cemetery's historic stones using proper stone conservation and restoration techniques.
Join us as we tidy the cemetery, removing trash, mulching, pruning, and weeding around the gates. We provide tools, gloves, training and a good time!
Our very own Ron Romano is on tour with his presentations about Bartlett Adams and his prolific stone carving career.
- Saturday, September 26 — Gray Historical Society. A morning walk at the Gray Village Cemetery to see the gravemarkers produced in the Adams shop.
- Monday, September 28 at 7:00pm — Windham Historical Society
- October 1 & 3 — Maine Historical Society and Spirits Alive at the Eastern Cemetery, Portland, Maine
This is a special lecture and tour combined! Tickets will be $10 and available through MHS soon.
- Wednesday, October 7 — Scarborough Historical Society, Scarborough, Maine
- Tuesday, October 13 — Yarmouth Historical Society, Yarmouth, ME
Summer & Fall
We spent 4 years transcribing and documenting every stone on the site on paper. Now we are photographing each of them one by one. Wanna help? Orientation for new photographers is ongoing. Contact us if you're interested in working on this project. You set your own schedule!
We conduct these evening tours with costumed actors who portray the ghosts of people who lived and died in our city.
Join us to learn about topics related to the history and customs around cemeteries like ours. Topics to be set in late 2015.