Tours & Events
January, February and March 2015
Join us to learn about 19th century post-mortem photography, death in early New England, and how the Eastern Cemetery fits into the India Street revitalization.
Bartlett Adams Lectures
Our very own Ron Romano is on tour with his presentations about Bartlett Adams and his prolific stone carving career.
- Saturday, April 11 at 9:30am - Poland Historical Society, Main Street, Poland, ME
- Saturday, May 2 at 1:00pm - Greater Portland Chapter of the Maine Genealogical Society
- Thursday, May 14 at 12 noon- Pejepscot Historical Society, Brunswick, ME
- Saturday, May 16, 8:30am to 2:30pm- Spring 2015 Maine Old Cemetery Association Meeting, New Gloucester Historical Society, New Gloucester, ME
- Monday, September 28 at 7:00pm - Windham Historical Society
- Wednesday, October 7 - Scarborough Historical Society, Scarborough, Maine
- Tuesday, October 13 - Yarmouth Historical Society, Yarmouth, ME
Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays in the Summer & Fall
Learn a little about the history of Portland and how its first residents are now cemetery residents. Art, iconography, stone types, cemetery development, and your questions will also be covered.
Saturdays in the Summer & FAll
More about this prolific stonecutter!
Summer Saturdays & Sundays
Learn to beautify the cemetery's historic stones using proper stone conservation and restoration techniques.
Summer & Fall
We spent 4 years transcribing and documenting every stone on the site on paper. Now we are photographing each of them one by one. Wanna help? Orientation for new photographers is ongoing. Contact us if you're interested in working on this project. You set your own schedule!
We conduct these evening tours with costumed actors who portray the ghosts of people who lived and died in our city.