Tours & Events
Saturday, May 2, 2015
8:00am to 12:00pm
Come help us put some sparkle back into the grounds. It's been a long, cold winter and the trash and brush is out of season.
We'll spruce up (get it?) around the trees and bushes with mulch, pick up trash (yes, we know about the spaghetti on Mountfort Street side) and do general gardening as directed by our coordinator, Matthew Mueller. Feel free to bring your work gloves, rakes or tools. If you don't, we will provide them.
We're excited to meet new volunteers and catch up with our old friends after a long, snowy season! (I hear there will be donuts.)
Bartlett Adams Lectures
Our very own Ron Romano is on tour with his presentations about Bartlett Adams and his prolific stone carving career.
- Saturday, May 2 at 1:00pm — Greater Portland Chapter of the Maine Genealogical Society
- Thursday, May 14 at 12 noon — Pejepscot Historical Society, Brunswick, ME
- Saturday, May 16 from 8:30am to 2:30pm — Spring 2015 Maine Old Cemetery Association Meeting, New Gloucester Historical Society, New Gloucester, ME
- Monday, September 28 at 7:00pm — Windham Historical Society
- Wednesday, October 7 — Scarborough Historical Society, Scarborough, Maine
- Tuesday, October 13 — Yarmouth Historical Society, Yarmouth, ME
July to OCtober
Learn a little about the history of Portland and how its first residents are now cemetery residents. Art, iconography, stone types, cemetery development, and your questions will also be covered.
Summer & FAll
More about this prolific stonecutter and see his work in person!
Learn to beautify the cemetery's historic stones using proper stone conservation and restoration techniques.
Summer & Fall
We spent 4 years transcribing and documenting every stone on the site on paper. Now we are photographing each of them one by one. Wanna help? Orientation for new photographers is ongoing. Contact us if you're interested in working on this project. You set your own schedule!
We conduct these evening tours with costumed actors who portray the ghosts of people who lived and died in our city.
Join us to learn about topics related to the history and customs around cemeteries like ours. Topics to be set in late 2015.