Tours & Events
We keep busy all year providing new ways for you to learn and do for the Eastern Cemetery.
- Bartlett Adams: Portland's First Stonecutter Talks & Walks
- Summer and Fall
Learn about the most prolific and Portland's first stonecutter from expert cemetery sleuth, Ron Romano.
- Walking Tours - July 9 to October 16 (Special tours times available upon request at no extra charge)
Learn a little about the history of Portland and how its first residents are now cemetery residents. Art, iconography, stone types, cemetery development, and your questions will also be covered.
- Gardening Days - Spring through Fall
Join us as we tidy the cemetery, removing trash, mulching, pruning, and weeding around the gates. We provide tools, gloves, training and a good time! We are forming a core group of gardeners who will meet several days through the summer and fall to make sure the cemetery continues to look great for visitors. If you are interested in joining, email volunteer coordinator Matthew Mueller.
- Stone Conservation & Preservation - Summer and Fall
Learn to beautify the cemetery's historic stones using proper stone conservation and restoration techniques.
- Stone Survey: Photography - Summer and Fall
We spent 4 years transcribing and documenting every stone on the site on paper. Now we are photographing each of them one by one. Wanna help? Orientation for new photographers is ongoing. Contact us if you're interested in working on this project. You set your own schedule!
- Winter Lecture Series - January, February, March
Join us to learn about topics related to the history and customs around cemeteries like ours.
- Walk Among the Shadows - October
The ghosts of people who died in our city rise for the evening to tell the tales of their extraordinary lives.